How to become a Member
The FBA encourages artists who have demonstrated high standards of work to apply for membership of one of its eight prestigious art societies. Membership entitles you to exhibit at the Society’s annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries, as well as other regional venues, organised by each Society.
The criteria for election vary according to each Society’s individual requirements. However, election is ultimately based on the quality and consistency of your work.
The following criteria usually apply to new candidates:
- Your work must have been accepted and exhibited at one or more previous annual exhibitions of the Society at the Mall Galleries before you apply for membership.
- Your registration form, available to download from this website, must be completed and returned in advance of selection for the Society’s annual exhibition. Voting on candidates usually takes place at the time of selection of work for the show or after the annual exhibition.
- Candidates are usually encouraged to provide a supporting portfolio of work and/or sketchbooks.
- The support of a number of existing Society members is sometimes a requirement of membership.
- Many of the societies regard Associate Membership as a first step towards election as a full Member.
- A candidate’s name may remain on the Candidates’ List for a period of two or three years.
To find out more about election to membership of each society contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact:
Royal Society of British Artists
The New English Art Club
Alex Fowler, Membership Secretary at email@example.com
The Royal Society of Marine Artists
The Society of Wildlife Artists
Royal Society of Portrait Painters
Royal Institute of Oil Painters
Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours
Terry McKivragan, Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pastel Society
Glenys Ambrus, Membership Secretary at email@example.com